February 9, 2018
Dear GHNATS Colleagues,
Enclosed is the information you will need to enter students in the 2018 Greater Houston NATS Classical Auditions. Auditions will be held on Saturday, April 7, 2018, at the Moores School of Music on the University of Houston campus (3800 Cullen Boulevard, Houston, TX 77004).
In 2016, the National Office of NATS set new guidelines for all NATS auditions. The purpose of these changes is to standardize auditions because all students now have the potential to feed into the national competitions. The complete guidelines, including video explanations and templates for judging forms, are available at: http://www.nats.org/nsaresources.html.
Repertoire requirements and the allotted time for each category follow the national guidelines: National Guidelines
Online registration will open Sunday, February 11, 2018, and the deadline for entries will be 11:59pm on Sunday, March 11, 2018. There will be no exceptions to the deadline, so please plan ahead and complete your entries online. Registration is only available through the NATS website: http://www.nats.org/. NATS has standardized the registration process throughout our organization, which will create many advantages. For example, your payment will now be processed through the National NATS website and will provide a detailed receipt to be stored in your member account for your reference or tax reimbursement purposes. This process will also create cost savings for the Greater Houston chapter by eliminating PayPal transaction fees.
There will be a judges’ meeting beginning at 8:15 a.m. on the day of auditions. All teachers entering students in the auditions must be present at the meeting and must be available to judge the preliminary auditions. It is important for each teacher to read all of the following information carefully before registering students for the Classical Auditions.
Important points to remember:
- No accompanist may play for more than ten students (either High School/Adult OR College/Advanced). This is very important to facilitate scheduling.
- Singers should bring three adjudication sheets for the judges when they audition. Teachers are responsible for ensuring the accuracy of all information. Adjudication sheets can be printed upon completion of registration.
- Once registered, there are no refunds for students or teachers who are unable to participate.
- Categories that have less than three entrants will be combined with another comparable group.
- It is important that teachers include current phone and email contact information for all accompanists listed.
- Accompanists must play from original music (see copyright laws below).
Please read and print the registration instructions that NATS has provided to its members: Registration Instructions
- $16 per member registration fee (includes one boxed lunch)
- $20 per student registration fee
- $10 additional boxed lunch fee
As you register, please refresh your memory about the copyright laws to which we must adhere. Below is an excerpt from the NATS Policy on Copyright Laws:
The National Association of Teachers of Singing endorses a strict policy regarding copyright laws. The use of photocopied music is prohibited at all NATS sponsored events, from the national to the chapter level. Exceptions are:
- Music that is out of print, still under copyright law, with permission from a publisher.
- Sheet music or books for which the copyright has expired, but available in CD format. (e.g., CD Sheet Music)
- Sheet music purchased legally from an online vendor. Such music should have either a separate page proving the performer has purchased such OR a copyright notice at the bottom of the music that includes the performer’s name. Performers must be prepared to present proof of ownership upon request.
- Music available from approved public domain websites. Performers should take particular care when accessing these sites as some do not guarantee that all works are indeed in the public domain. Current approved online public domain sites are:
Please be aware that this means that a student may be disqualified if it is determined that there has been a violation of the copyright laws. It is not the intention of the GHNATS Board or of this auditions chair to cause a hardship on anyone. In order for our chapter to be in line with the policies of the National organization, this policy must be implemented and adhered to during the auditions.
PLEASE REMEMBER TO REVIEW THE CLASSICAL CATEGORIES AND ALL REPERTOIRE REQUIREMENTS. Make sure you properly select the ‘Auditions - Greater Houston - Spring 2018 Classical’ when registering your students.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us by phone or email.
Donna Hinds Sawyers
Music Theater Auditions chair
Classical Auditions chair
(713) 882-5813 (mobile)