December 10, 2016
Dear NATS Colleagues,
Enclosed is the preliminary information you will need to enter students in the 2017 Greater Houston NATS Musical Theatre Spring Auditions, on Saturday, February 4, 2017, which will be held at Houston Community College- Central Campus.
Last year, the National Office of NATS set new guidelines for all NATS auditions. The purpose of these changes is to standardize auditions because all now have the potential to feed into the national competitions. The complete guidelines, including video explanations and templates for judging forms, are available at http://www.nats.org/nsaresources.html
The number of required pieces and allotted time for each category follows that national guidelines and is found by clicking the following link:
Online registration will open December 10, 2016, and the deadline for entries will be 11:59pm on Friday, January 20, 2017. Registration is available on our GHNATS website: http://www.ghnats.org. There will be no exceptions to the deadline, so please plan ahead and complete your entries online.
There will be a judges meeting and general business meeting beginning at 8:00 a.m. on the day of auditions. All teachers entering students in the auditions must be present at both meetings, and must be available to judge the preliminary auditions. Teachers who enter students must be present to judge. It is important for each teacher to read all of the following information carefully before registering students for the Musical Theatre Auditions.
Important points to remember:
- Accompanists must not overlap in categories that will hold simultaneous finals. They may either play for:
- High school & Adult Musical Theatre entrants or for
- College Musical Theatre entrants
- No accompanist may play for more than ten students. This is very important to facilitate scheduling
- Singers should bring three repertoire sheets to each of their auditions, to include titles, composers, and origin (stage work) if applicable.
- Teachers are responsible for ensuring the accuracy of all information.
- Once registered, there are no refunds for students or teachers who are unable to participate.
- Categories that have less than three entrants will be combined with another comparable group.
- It is important that teachers include current email contact information for all accompanists listed.
- Accompanists must play from original music. (See copyright laws below)
- Make certain that you are current in your membership status (both with nationals and with the GHNATS chapter)
- Fill out a teacher entry form. Each student will need to pay one registration fee of $20.00.
- Complete a student entry form for each student listed on your teacher entry form.
- Proceed to PayPal to pay for your teacher fee ($16.00), student fees ($20.00 per student entry), and extra lunches ($10.00 each). If at any time during the process, you are directed to PayPal before you are finished with all the entry forms, simply choose the “Continue Shopping” option on the left side, and select the next form to complete. You should be able to pay all the fees at one time, rather than after each entry is completed.
As you register, please refresh your memory about the copyright laws to which we must adhere. Below is an excerpt from the NATS Policy on Copyright Laws:
The National Association of Teachers of Singing endorses a strict policy regarding copyright laws. The use of photocopied music is prohibited at all NATS sponsored events, from the national to the chapter level. Exceptions are:
- Music that is out of print, still under copyright law, with permission from a publisher.
- Sheet music or books for which the copyright has expired, but available in CD format. (e.g., CD Sheet Music)
Please be aware that this means that a student may be disqualified if it is determined that there has been a violation of the copyright laws. It is not the intention of the GHNATS Board or of this auditions chair to cause a hardship on anyone. In order for our chapter to be in line with the policies of the National organization, this policy must be confirmed and implemented. Therefore, on the Teacher Entry Form, each teacher must electronically sign a Statement of Compliance, which states:
"I have read and understood the Copyright Policy as set forth by the National Association of Teachers of Singing. This certifies that my students and their pianists will conform to the law."
PLEASE REMEMBER TO REVIEW THE MUSICAL THEATER CATEGORIES AND ALL REPERTOIRE REQUIREMENTS. Make sure you properly select the Musical Theatre category when registering your students for this audition.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us by phone or email.
Donna Hinds Sawyers
Musical Theatre Auditions chair
Classical Auditions chair
(713) 882-5813 (mobile)