January 31, 2020
Dear GHNATS Colleagues,
Enclosed is the information you will need to enter students in the 2020 Greater Houston NATS Classical Auditions. Auditions will be held on Saturday, March 28, 2020, at the Moores School of Music on the University of Houston campus (3800 Cullen Boulevard, Houston, TX 77004).
Repertoire requirements and the allotted time for each category follow the national guidelines: NSA Revised Categories.
The complete guidelines, including video explanations and templates for judging forms, are available at: NSA Resources.
Online registration will open Saturday, February 8, 2020, and the deadline for entries will be 11:59pm on Saturday, March 7, 2020. There will be no exceptions to the deadline, so please plan ahead and complete your entries online. Registration is only available through the NATS website: NATS. NATS has standardized the registration process throughout our organization, which has created many changes (and advantages) to years past.
There will be a judges’ meeting beginning at 8:00 a.m. on the day of auditions. All teachers entering students in the auditions must be present at the meeting and must be available to judge the preliminary auditions. It is important for each teacher to read all of the following information carefully before registering students for the Classical Auditions. Make sure your NATS membership is in good standing (dues paid) and that you have selected Greater Houston as your local chapter. It takes 24-48 hours to process dues so plan ahead.
Important points to remember:
- No accompanist may play for more than ten students (either High School/Adult Division -OR- College/Advanced Division). This is very important to facilitate scheduling.
- Singers should bring three adjudication sheets for the judges when they audition. Teachers are responsible for ensuring the accuracy of all information. Adjudication sheets can be printed upon completion of registration.
- Once registered, there are no refunds for students or teachers who are unable to participate.
- Categories that have three or fewer entrants will be combined with another comparable group.
- It is important that teachers include current phone and email contact information for all accompanists listed.
- Accompanists must play from original music. (See copyright laws below)
Please read and print the registration instructions that NATS has provided to its members: Accessing the NATS Auditions Registration System.
- $20 per member registration fee (includes one boxed lunch)
- $22 per student registration fee
- $12 additional boxed lunch fee
Dr. Sharon Radionoff will be presenting on ‘Vocal Health for Singers’ at 1:00pm in Dudley Recital Hall. Please plan to attend it and encourage your students to attend it, as well.
Responding to members’ needs and desires to become more inclusive of ALL singers regardless of gender, the NATS Board voted to make the following changes to the NSA regulations:
- Audition Category Names have been changed:
- Odd-numbered categories (formerly titled “Women”) are changed to “Treble” to include students singing Soprano, Mezzo, Alto, or Countertenor.
- Even-numbered categories (formerly titled “Men”) are changed to “TBB” to include students singing Tenor, Baritone, and Bass.
- Improvements to the NATS Audition Rubrics:
- Change of scoring descriptors from “Lowest,” “Average,” and “Best” to “Developing,” “Advancing,” and “Accomplished.”
- Expanded definitions of “Mix” and “Belt” on the Music Theater Rubric
- Teachers now have access to a Fillable PDF student-information sheet that they can send to all of their students to complete and return, so that teachers have all of the information they will need prior to completing the students’ registrations.
- The use of iPads and tablets as musical scores for collaborative pianists during all levels of NATS auditions has been approved and are held to the same standard as any other musical score used for auditions.
Teachers, pianists, and students will now verify their music abides by copyright laws when they register. NATS members, singers, and pianists will need to affirm that they will only use legal copies of music during NATS events as part of the registration process. Entrants will not be able to compete until they and their pianist complete this copyright acknowledgment.
As you register, please review the updated NATS copyright laws to which we must adhere: NATS Copyright FAQs.
PLEASE REMEMBER TO REVIEW THE CLASSICAL CATEGORIES AND ALL REPERTOIRE REQUIREMENTS. Make sure you properly select the GHNATS Classical Auditions when registering your students and register your students in the appropriate category.
If you have any questions, please contact us by phone or email as we are the first point of contact. Do not contact NATS or Auditionware if you have any issues. Contact us first so we can resolve the issue directly. We are happy to assist!
Donna Hinds Sawyers
Music Theater Auditions chair
Classical Auditions chair