GHNATS Fall Business Meeting Minutes
October 16, 2016
Meeting location: Houston Baptist University
Officers in attendance:
- Elisa Thompson (president)
- Serdar Ilban (VP-workshops)
- Michael Walsh (VP-classical auditions
- Frances Fenton (Membership liaison)
- Angela Pickering (Treasurer)
- Donna Hinds Sawyers (VP-MT auditions)
- Jammieca D. Mott (Secretary)
- Debra Greschner (Chapter Past President)
- Winners Recital Chair: Justin Coffey
Meeting came to order at 3:10 p.m.
Members in attendance introduced themselves to the group.
- Minutes from the Spring Business Meeting (April 2016) were unavailable.
- Angela reported that the chapter currently has 10,730.00. Chapter members discussed the possibility of transferring all Chapter funds to the Amegy bank account, since the funds are not insured through PayPal.
- Elisa discussed Chapter Dues/Deadlines. She reminded members that the renewal period would begin in October and end in January, without penalties. After January, a late fee would be applied and membership would lapse.
- New Business included officer reports. Debra encouraged the chapter to explore attending the national convention, that will be held in Las Vegas, June 22-26, 2018.
- Donna confirmed that the Musical Theatre Auditions are scheduled for February 4, 2017 at HCC. Donna determined that a committee would be organized, in an effort to select guest judges and organize audition entry materials. The goal is to open registration early December.
- Both Michael and Donna secured the specifics for the Classical and Musical Theatre Auditions. Michael confirmed that he was able to secure the rooms utilized last year, for the 2017 auditions that will be held at UH. The tabulation room availability still needs to be investigated, due to remodeling. Individuals are needed to serve in the tabulation room. Members discussed guest judges and compensation for those selected individuals. Elisa will secure the committee and contact individuals to serve. HSPVA students will continue to serve as moderators. It was determined that those students would be contacted two months in advance, since the students tend to need volunteer hours.
- Frances discussed ways to promote Chapter Events/Activities as well invite Texoma non-chapter members to join the organization, through Facebook.
- Serdar suggested that the chapter conduct separate workshops. When workshops were separate during auditions, attendance was low. It was suggested that we conduct one of the workshops in September before the Winner’s Recital, or combine with the Winner’s Circle Recital.
- Debra encouraged the chapter to explore attending the national convention, that will be held in Las Vegas, June 22-26, 2018
- Frances also suggested that we have the second-place winner perform for the Winner’s Circle Recital, if the first-place winner is unable to attend. Based on her experience in California, she found it to be helpful and encouraging to the students. The chapter agreed that it was a good idea to allow the second-place winner to perform for the Winner’s Circle Recital, if the first-place winner was unable to attend. Elisa suggested that we present the idea to the chapter in the spring.
- Rebecca Pyper suggested moving the Winner’s Recital to later in the spring, ideally the last week of April or the first week of May.
- Elisa stressed the importance of timely responses to important chapter emails and reminded members of Texoma NATS, to be held at West Texas A&M University in Canyon, TX, November 2-5, 2016. Also, items to be tabled for the spring- second-place winners to perform for the Winner’s Circle Recital and moving the Winner’s Recital Date to later in the spring.
Meeting was adjourned at 3:35 p.m.